Thursday 23 April 2015

The Avengers: Age of Awesome

Australia truly is the Lucky Country. Because the new Avengers movie is now screening, a full week before the Americans will get a hold of it (which I find really weird, but I'm not complaining). I stayed up until midnight watching it last night, and now I'm going to give all my non-existent readers the verdict.

Clocking in (I hate that cliche) at 141 minutes total runtime A2 sounded a bit long to me. As such I was surprised to find how quickly the time went; it really is a credit to the pacing of the film. Action sequences blended seamlessly with touching and witty dialogue (lots of witty dialogue) along with the sense of teamwork and friendship which was missing up until the end of A1. The way the Avengers fight now is streamlined and highly co-operative; Cap and Thor in particular make use of their similarly indestructible weapons to take out scores of enemies in a single shot (you see a bit of that in the trailer too).

It's pretty safe to say that everyone has levelled up, to the point where I think the team could make mincemeat of the Chitauri now. Which is good, because Ultron is a hard son of a b*** to take down.

I know there was concern that the trailers for this movie trailed too much, that they would be spoiling the movie. How wrong we were. I would say about 75% of what's in the trailers shows up in the first half hour of the movie; and the rest keeps rolling the punches.

Ultron is amazing. No other way to put it.

My only complaints are that a certain romantic situation didn't seem to work. Just not the right chemistry. And after watching all the credits roll, although Joss Whedon did tell everyone that there wouldn't be a post-credits scene, he wasn't lying. I guess that's not a bad thing; but it is a break from tradition. Plus one other thing which I won't tell you about because it's a spoiler. Suffice to say you'll understand when you watch it.

All in all, a brilliant follow up. I look forward to the memes.

Poster credit: legionofpotatoes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead and share your opinion. I probably won't read it anyway!