Sunday 15 February 2015

Kingsman: The Secret Service - My Birthday Treat

As you may have guessed, it was my birthday just the other day (providing it doesn't take me a week to finish writing this) and of course I went to see a movie. First I wanted to see Mortdecai, but that's been copping a LOT of flak lately and I wanted a surer bet for my birthday treat.

So here we are with Kingsman: The Secret Service, and what a service it was. A service to spy movies without number (or logic for that matter) and a modern twist on a classic 007 format. The plot is simple: our protagonist, lovable tough-boy Eggsy, through an old friend of his dead father, winds up training to be a gentleman spy for an organisation called Kingsman. Meanwhile a lisping Samuel L Jackson as Valentine and Sofie Boutella as his sword-footed assistant Gazelle take the mantle of Bond-Villains, for what I found to be a thrilling and entertaining ride from start to finish.

There's comedy, action, drama and morality all mixed up together; which suits me down to the ground. Who ever said that movies need to stick to one genre anyhow? So many memorable scenes and wonderful actors. You could watch the whole thing just for Jackson's lisp. I'd go again to see the church scene. Just wow. Not to mention the swords on Gazelle's legs AKA the most badass thing I've seen in years.

I don't give a shit about Fify Shades. Kingsman for the win!

Romance - 1 Bowl of Popcorn
Comedy - 3 Bowls of Popcorn
Drama - 3.5 Bowls of Popcorn
Action - 4 Bowls of Popcorn
Creepiness - 0 Bowls of Popcorn
Adventure - 4 Bowls of Popcorn
Mind F*** - 0.5 Bowls of Popcorn (for that one scene)
Sci-Fi - 2 Bowls of Popcorn (for the gagets)

Poster credit: http://www.sundaydogparade.com/2015/01/kingsman-secret-service-poster.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead and share your opinion. I probably won't read it anyway!